Driver´s license fraud is basically to use someone else´s identity or to submit fake identity documentation. License fraud is conducted by individuals or in favor of individual that, under normal circumstances, would not be eligible to get a driver´s license.
It is considered a form of Driver´s License Fraud:
- To present identity documents (birth certificates, social security documents, etc.) that belong to someone else in order to get a driverīs license.
- To present fake immigration documents in order to get a license.
- To present fake birth certificates in order to get a license.
- To alter someone elseīs document in any way and present such altered documents in order to get a driverīs license.
It is NOT considered a form of Driver´s License Fraud:
- Ticket Fraud, that is: using someone elseīs identity when receiving a citation.
- The creation of a fake Driverīs license card, though the creation and use of fake documents is, by itself, a crime.
The best thing to do if you think you are being victim of fraud is to report it immediately to the police; this will help you get the rest of the process done in a fast and safe way. For further information you can always email and/or telephone the government agency responsible of issuing and registering driver´s licenses in your country/state. Make sure you have your personal details (such as social security number) available since security questions may be asked.
There are many ways to prevent possible Driver´s License Fraud. Below you will find the most important ones:
- Destroy your expired documents before you throw them away.
- Whenever you lose your wallet and/or important documents do not hesitate to report the loss to the police immediately.
- Whenever you give your Driverīs License as identification, make sure to get it back right away.
- Never leave your documents in places that are not safe.
- Do not provide personal information on internet or by telephone unless it is absolutely necessary and safe.
- Do not keep your license in your car if you are already home.
- Always keep your Driverīs License number in a piece of paper in a safe place if you do not know the number by heart.